Wednesday, September 5, 2012

The Everyday.


I've been holding off on a new post because nothing exciting is happening this week (outside of our water working for a few minutes at one point). But I decided to post my entries from the past few days anyways. I guess it's good for you to know that I'm not constantly doing awesome things...I don't want you to be too jealous of me. ;) Just kidding, you should still be jealous. Ghana is a really cool place to be even when you're not doing anything exceptional.

Sept. 1
Today was pretty chill. We went into Osu to get smoothies to celebrate a birthday in our group. After that, we walked around a bit and then came back to campus.

I’ve basically just been doing homework and hanging out in my room all day. I did, however, get to skype my family…and by family I mean everyone. Aunts, Uncles, cousins, second cousins, grandparents, parents, siblings, soon to be sister-in-law—the whole circus. They were all gathered at my house for a meal and when I called they sort of passed me around on my mom’s iPad. It was pretty chaotic, but I can’t even begin to describe how good it was to see their faces and hear their voices. My family is the best.

Sept. 2
Today has been a good day. I got to shower. I know it sounds silly, but it was miraculous…literally. I was doing devotions this morning and during my prayer time I prayed selfishly for enough water to wash my hair. Afterwards, I walked into the bathroom and turned on the faucet and BAM. The water started working. God is good. I laughed pretty hard and was so excited that I almost jumped into the shower with my clothes on. It was just enough water. It shut off as I finished rinsing out my hair.

The rest of my day was dedicated to homework. For my literature class, we have quite a bit a reading, so I spent most of the day trying to stay caught up. I finished everything I wanted to get done and even got to finish one of the books I brought for recreational purposes (Seriously…I’m Kidding, by Ellen Degeneres. If you’re looking for a good laugh, I’d recommend it.)

Sept. 3
Class day. Pretty uneventful. We did, however, have a Harry Potter viewing this evening. I brought most of the movies, so I think we’re going to make Mondays Harry Potter day.

I’ve been having weird chest pains the past few days. I don’t know what it is, but some people tell me it might be heartburn. I didn’t realize you could get heartburn before you started getting senior citizen benefits at restaurants. A nurse is visiting us tomorrow, so I’m going to talk to her and see what she says.

Sept. 4
More class today—nothing exciting. Tuesdays are usually really nice because we eat dinner at Roland’s house. We rotate the cooking between group members. Tonight some girls made breakfast for dinner. That happens to be one of my favorite things ever. We ate pancakes, bacon, mango, pineapple, toast, cereal, and juice. It was hard for me to eat because of my current chest pains, but I ate a lot anyways because I loved it so much. A lady named Jodi joined us for dinner as well. She graduated from Calvin with a nursing degree and has decided to move to Ghana. She was great and even helped me get the medicine I needed to start getting rid of this reflux.


Super exciting, right? 

I'll tell you something that is exciting from today (Sept. 5). We took our fabric to a seamstress to get dresses made a few weeks ago and she brought them in today! I love my dress. I don't have pictures of it yet though, so you'll just have to trust that it's really cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment