Saturday, November 17, 2012

The End of School


Wow. My last two weeks have been a whirlwind. I haven’t kept up with my journal because I’ve just been too busy.


I had my last week of classes. I spent the majority of my spare time writing final papers and studying for final exams. I chose to dedicate most of my study time to political science because it is by far my hardest class. I had a final paper to write for African literature, Peoples & Culture, as well as Culture & Ethnography. Those took up a really huge chunk of my time.

That week, my hair was still gross from swimming in the pool at Mole. Anna suggested I try washing it with vinegar, so I did. What a horrible decision. It got in my eyes, my mouth, and my nose in the process. My hair didn’t even come completely clean either. Anyways, Anna says that I did it wrong or something, but I will never do that again. Ever.

I went to Adenkrebi for the last time, too. We finished our painting project in the Kindergarten room! It felt good to get something done.  I played a few games with the kids and actually won one of them. That never happens. I’m going to miss those kids. It was so strange leaving the school knowing that I would probably never go back.
Here are some pictures of the final product that Hayley took:
I painted the balloons and the giraffe
The front of the room


The weekend before finals, I stayed on campus to study. I spent most of the time at the Institute. On Monday, Roland came in and started talking about some left over cake that he had at his house. A few of us had the same idea to acquire the cake somehow. It was raining that day and Roland’s house is a decently long walk from the Institute. When I asked Roland about what we should do, he told me that I could take his car to his house. That’s right, everyone. I got to drive in Ghana and I got to eat chocolate cake. Best day ever.

Tuesday, I had my Political Science final. I did my best, but as usual, I was the first one done. I never know how to feel about that.
Wednesday, I had my Twi exam. That did not go well. There was so much vocabulary that I didn’t know. Oh well, it’s over now and I’m happy about that. After Twi, we had Drumming and Dance for the last time. We had our final “exams” in drumming. We had to perform a song in groups of two or three. I went with Margot and we nailed it!
In dance class, we just practiced for our performance that we are having on December 2nd.

Thursday, I gave a presentation on my time at Adenkrebi School. After that, I spent the rest of the day finishing my final paper for Peoples and Culture. Finishing that was the best feeling.
Friday, I had to sit through everyone else’s presentations. The semester was officially over after those were done. We went out to dinner as a group to an Indian restaurant to celebrate the end of school.

I honestly can’t believe the semester is over. It went so fast. Now, I get to sleep in a tree house in the jungle for a night and then relax on the beach for the next 12 days or so. I’m looking forward to sitting on the beach and reading. I love that I’m able to sit on the beach at the end of November. 




No comments:

Post a Comment